There’s nothing that gets the kiddos around the table faster than the heavenly smell of my creamy mashed potatoes and gravy wafting around the house. It’s the embodiment of sheer comfort food. You know what they say, the quickest way to someone’s heart is through their stomach, and these fluffy clouds of potato goodness are no exception!
Now, making the perfect bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy isn’t rocket science, but it does require a certain finesse. Don’t worry, I’ll dish out all the dirt on how to whip up this delightful concoction.
First off, peeling the potatoes and chopping them down into even chunks is a necessary evil. Sure, you might sigh and roll your eyes, but believe you me, it’s worth every knick and slice. Potato skin may be chock-full of nutrients, but for this dish, we are after that smooth, buttery feel. So the skin has got to go!
Once you’ve bared your spuds (and given ’em a good rinse for good measure), throw them into a pot of cold water. Yes, you heard me right – cold water! It’s not your traditional flying-off-the-handle approach; it’s the secret to cooking them evenly.
Crank up the heat and let them boil until they’re tender enough that a fork slides in without a fuss. The moment of truth is upon you! Toss in salt, a dollop of butter, and a dash of cream. Grab your masher and get to work! If those potatoes don’t end up as smooth as a baby’s bottom, you’ve done something flippin’ wrong!
Now, the gravy is where the rubber meets the road. It’s the finishing touch that ties the whole dish together. Get your hands on some chicken or beef broth, a spoonful of flour, and a splash of cream. Above all else, seasoning is key! A hearty grind of pepper and a pinch of salt can bring your gravy from mundane to marvelous.
Oh, and a hot tip – keep stirring like your life depends on it, or you’ll end up with lumpy gravy, and trust me, no kid is keen on that!
So there you have it, folks! A steaming plate of mashed potatoes and gravy that’s sure to tickle the taste buds of even the pickiest of eaters. Wholesome, hearty, and hands-down delectable. It’s dinner time, folks! Dig in!
Let’s Get Cooking!
Ingredients for Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 pounds of russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
Steps for Mashed Potatoes:
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into equal size chunks.
- Rinse the potatoes then place them in a pot of cold water.
- Turn on the heat, bring the water to a boil. Let the potatoes cook until they’re tender.
- Drain the water and leave the potatoes in the pot.
- Add milk, cream, butter, and salt into the pot.
- Mash everything together until smooth.
Ingredients for Gravy:
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Steps for Gravy:
- Heat the chicken broth in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour with a small amount of broth to create a smooth paste.
- Slowly whisk this paste into the saucepan with the rest of the broth.
- Stir in the cream, salt, and pepper.
- Continue stirring until the gravy thickens to your desired consistency.
Please note, regardless of how your gravy is used – whether on top of mashed potatoes or accompanying a side of meat – safety is key. If you’re using meat with this recipe, remember to use a food thermometer to ensure it has been cooked to its safe cooking temperature. This step is crucial to avoiding foodborne illnesses and ensuring a satisfying and safe dining experience.
We think your kids will love it!