Well, howdy there, folks! Get ready to embark on another knee-slapping, kid-pleasing culinary adventure. It’s time to rustle up tradition, give it a fun twist, and serve it up in buns… I’m talking about good ol’ fashioned hot dogs!
Now, I hear you murmuring, What’s so special about hot dogs? Oh boy,are you in for a surprise! You see, parents, there is a world of delightful tomfoolery hiding under that everyday favorite. I mean – onions, pickles and ketchup? That’s child’s play! It’s time to step up our game, and turn these no-frills munchies into the ultimate kid-tastic creation.
Alright, allons-y! Let’s start by choosing the right frank. After all, you can’t put the cart before the horse. Whether you go for the all-beef, chicken, or vegetarian option – remember, not all dogs are created equal. Texture and flavor matter. The Goldilocks principle applies – choose one that’s not too squishy, not too hard, but just right.
Now, onto the bread! It’s where my heart ‘kneads’ a bit of creativity – pun intended! Bite-sized buns, colorful options made from spinach, beetroot, or even charcoal – let me tell you, kids eat with their eyes. Sparkle their imagination and watch their wee faces light up. And if they still turn up their noses, hey just play it cool. Show them the buns and let them choose. My little nephew, Tommy boy, went on a hot dog spree for a month after that!
The sauce? Well, folks, don’t just stick to ketchup and mustard – think beyond the box. How about a dollop of guacamole or cream cheese, or a drizzle of honey-mustard? Slap on a few slices of crispy bacon or crunchy lettuce. Grated cheese, barbecue sauce, wasabi mayo – the world’s your oyster!
Presentation? Glitz and glamour, my friends! Go crazy with the skewers – butterflies, smiley faces, or their favorite cartoon. A little fun food play never hurt anybody, right? Hot dogs on a raft, hot dogs in a race car – surprise them, and I bet you won’t hear them saying, Not hot dogs again, Mum!
So, there you have it, folks. No more plain Jane hot dogs. Ready to serve up these simple yet sassy hot dogs that’ll have them smacking their lips and asking for seconds? Then, roll up your sleeves, put on that chef’s hat, and let the fun commence. After all, the proof is in the pudding a.k.a hot dogs!
Remember, cooking is like love – best served with a sprinkle of magic, a dollop of passion, and a whole lotta fun! Happy Cooking!
Let’s Get Cooking!
- 8 Hot Dogs (all-beef, chicken, vegetarian, your pick)
- 8 Hot Dog Buns
- 1 cup each of ketchup & mustard
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup relish
- 8 Skewers (themed, butterflies, smiley faces, favorite cartoons)
- 1 cup Grated Cheese
- Toppings as per preference (guacamole, cream cheese, bacon, lettuce, etc.)
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Place the hot dogs on the grill directly over the heat.
- Rotate the hot dogs a quarter turn every couple of minutes.
- Grill the hot dogs until they’re charred and crispy at the edges (approximately six to eight minutes).
- Meanwhile, slightly warm your hot dog buns on the cooler side of the grill.
- Remove the hot dogs from the grill and place each in a warmed bun.
- Drizzle with ketchup, mustard and any other preferred sauces.
- Sprinkle diced onions and a dash of relish over the sauces.
- Add any additional toppings as per preference.
- Slide the skewers through the top of the hot dog.
- Garnish with grated cheese over the hot dog.
- Serve while warm.
Remember, if you are using any sort of meat hot dogs such as chicken, pork, or beef, it is essential to use a food thermometer to ensure that the meat is cooked to its safe cooking temperature to avoid any foodborne illnesses. If you’re using all-beef franks, ensure that the internal temperature is at least 160°F or if you’re using chicken or turkey dogs, they should be at least 165°F. Happy Cooking!
We think your kids will love it!