No matter how tired you get after work and picking the kids up from school, it does not excuse you from preparing a healthy, tasty dinner for the family. The good news is that if you have a slow cooker, you have plenty of choices when it comes to kids’ meals. One such recipe to consider is the slow cooker tortilla soup.
If you’re running a busy household, you’d be glad to know that following this tortilla soup recipe is not time-consuming. You only need a few minutes to gather the ingredients, throw them into the slow cooker, and turn it on. When you return home, you can expect a delicious dinner waiting for you and the entire family.
Using this soup, you can convince your kids to eat more vegetables, even those that they haven’t tried. Encourage them to try at least a spoonful of this tortilla soup recipe. If they find it to their liking, you will have one more dish to add to your family menu.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
- 3 chicken thighs, without skin
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes green chilies
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 20 tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro
1. Put the chicken, beans, tomatoes, and broth in the slow cooker. Add the onion, garlic, water, cumin, jalapeno, and chili powder, too. Cover it and set it on high for about three to four hours. If you think you can only get home after six to eight hours, set it on low.
2. Remove the cover as well as the chicken from the slow cooker using tongs. Let it cool before removing the meat and shredding it.
3. Put the lemon juice and stir.
4. Prepare serving bowls, then add crumbled tortilla chips into each one and cover with soup.
5. Serve the tortilla soup after sprinkling it with some grated cheese and cilantro.
If you’re watching everyone’s weight, take note that this slow cooker tortilla soup recipe serves four. Each serving contains 275 calories, total fat of 8 grams, saturated fat of 4 grams, and protein of 22 grams. It also contains 7 grams of sugar, 29 grams of carbohydrates, 5 milligrams of cholesterol, 6 grams of fiber, and 364 milligrams of sodium.
A Few Pointers
If you’re trying to feed your kids more vegetables, but they’re still at a point when they would say no to them, make a smooth tortilla soup version. After the slow cooking process, remove the chicken. Then, blend the soup to give them a creamier, thicker soup that does not show any vegetables. Shred the meat of the cooked chicken first before adding it back to the soup.
You can even prepare more than four servings of food if you don’t want to cook tortilla soup again. Just put leftovers in the refrigerator to serve it the following day. Freeze it well.
This slow cooker tortilla soup recipe has been dubbed kid-friendly by many parents, especially those who have picky eaters. It works for kids, and even adults love it!