Are you on the lookout for a healthy kids food pyramid to boost their health and wellbeing? Well, we have the perfect pyramid structure from which you can choose between vegetarian or non-vegetarian food items. These are carefully planned as per the daily food recommendations in a human body and as per the age of a child.
Kids Food Pyramid
- Include vegetables, whole grains, healthy oils, healthy proteins such as nuts, beans, fish and chicken and fruits in their diet plan every week. You can add yogurt and milk if you are not a strict vegan.
- If you want a more detailed healthy eating pyramid as per your age, gender, profession and health issues, you should consult a nutritionist. You can also get your own customized pyramid structure keeping in mind your weight control goals, multivitamin supplements you take and alcohol intake.
- There are five main food groups including proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals fats. It also gives you a rough idea of how these food groups contribute towards a balanced diet.
- Each level in a pyramid is based on the recommended food intake for individuals between 19 to 50 years of age. The proportions of food can differ from person to person.
- The foundation layer includes three plant-based groups including fruits, vegetables/legumes and grains. These take up the largest space in the pyramid because these items should constitute 70% of our diet.
- The middle layer includes food items like cheese, yoghurt, milk, lean meat, poultry, eggs, fish, nuts, seeds and legumes. These provide us with protein and calcium and certain other minerals and vitamins. For those who do not consume dairy, there are some non-dairy options such as soy, rice or cereal milks.
- The top layer refers to healthy fats derived from plant sources and animals. Only choose healthy fats that are unrefined polyunsaturated or monosaturated such as olive oil, nut and seed oils. Avoid saturated fats or trans fats.
New Food Pyramid For Kids
Kids food pyramid was recently updated by the Food and Drug administration. It contains five food groups as well as fats and oils that the children should eat each day. The food pyramid contains grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy and calcium-rich foods, proteins and fats and oils in a descending order. Grains are at the topmost position and need to be consumed the most. Fats and oils need to be consumed in less quantity. Along with following the kids food pyramid, children should also exercise for 60 minutes each day.
Bread, Cereal, Rice and Pasta
Children aged between 2 to 8 should consume 3 to 5 ounces of these every day. Children aged between 9 to 18 should consume 5 to 7 ounces every day.
Milk, Yogurt and Cheese
Children aged between 2 to 8 need 2 cups every day, while children aged between 9 to 18 need 3 cups daily.
Meat, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, Eggs and Nuts
Children aged between 2 to 8 years should have 2 to 4 ounces of these food items, while children from 9 to 18 should consume 5 to 6 ounces.
Until 8 years, children should consume 1 to 1 ½ cups of fruits while children older than that should consume 1 ½ to 2 cups of fruits every day.
Children from 2 to 8 years need 1 to 1 ½ cups of vegetables, while children from 9 to 18 years need 2 ½ to 3 cups daily.
Fats & Oils
These are essential oils that are necessary to maintain bodily functions. Children aged between 2 to 8 years need 3 to 4 teaspoons while children aged between 9 to 18 years need 5 to 6 teaspoons.